GRABER'S ORGANIZATIONAL CHALLENGES
Preparing for Additional Growth
Now on target for 2022 orders, Graber needed a plan to effectively evolve and scale the business, particularly with marketing, sales and customer service, to reflect its current and future growth. Areas of need include:
- Strategic Revenue Forecasting Per Pipeline: Having experienced a significant increase in one specific type of pipeline sales during the pandemic, Graber core leadership team sought to establish ambitious revenue goals minimizing the long-term reliance on this pipeline and increasing opportunities for another type of pipeline. They were seeking specific direction as to what these numbers should be each year, over how many years, with expectations for weighted % revenue per pipeline, and what steps should be taken to put the strategic plan into action.
- Commerce (Marketing & Sales) Organizational Restructuring: With a relatively small but growing commerce team in place, Graber was trying to figure out how to ensure long-term marketing and sales alignment, restructure leadership, and best position the company for growth the next 5+ years.
- Job Descriptions, KPIs, and Accountability: Outdated marketing and sales job descriptions for current roles needed to be updated to reflect the company’s current and future growth, with more specific responsibilities and KPI’s that could be tracked and monitored on a regular basis. New roles also needed to be created, particularly with an expanding sales team, with new responsibilities and KPI metrics.
- Compensation Structure: With new roles and KPIs, Graber needed to explore and establish new compensation structures for commerce employees.
- Change Communication Plans: Graber realized with organizational changes, potential shifts in compensation, and new revenue targets, an internal change communication plan and timeline was essential for current employees.
- Optimizing Technology & Reporting: Graber leadership was looking for a way to ensure marketing and sales data accuracy, including dynamic reporting that would coordinate directly with new sales and marketing KPIs and overall target revenue earnings for different pipelines.
THE CRAFT IMPACT SOLUTION
Graber Manufacturing’s partnership with Craft Impact shifted gears in the fall of 2021, emphasizing organizational change and growth in addition to concrete marketing and sales enablement strategies. Working with Graber leadership, Craft helped establish a new organizational chart for commerce, built out new roles and comprehensive job descriptions, crafted a 5 year forecast for revenue weighted by pipeline, and empowered leaders to present and implement change communication plans. Craft Impact optimized the Hubspot platform to reflect new Graber goals and employee KPIs, creating dashboards for employees and managers to dynamically track their progress.
With a team of marketing, sales, and communication strategists and copywriters, Craft Impact has been able to support Graber’s organizational scalability and growth efforts, through various deliverables:
Sales Forecasting and Goals Spreadsheet
- Having input first year fiscal year sales goals and pipelines, Craft put together a tool that allowed Graber leadership to break down specific revenue for each quarter of each year for the next 5 years, based on weighted % increase, current estimates for days to close and each pipeline’s different conversion rate.
- With clearly understood and defined forecasting, Craft was able to build an organizational strategy for marketing and sales that would reflect the direction of the company and shift from the reliance on one pipeline to increasing the other type.
5 year fiscal goals, organized by pipeline percentages.
Goals for each year, broken down by quarter, conversion rate, days to close and close date.
New Org Chart for Commerce Department
- Cementing the alignment between marketing and sales, Craft helped Graber establish a “Commerce” organizational chart with the newly appointed Director of Commerce.
Org chart developed for Graber's future.
Job Descriptions with KPIs & Compensation Structure
- New Director of Commerce, Sales Manager, and Account Executive job descriptions created with specific responsibilities and KPIs that could be monitored and dynamically tracked.
- Outdated marketing and sales job descriptions were updated, with more specific responsibilities and KPI’s: Regional Sales Manager, Marketing/Brand Manager, Sales Development Representative, Marketing Coordinator, and Marketing Assistant.
- Explored and provided strategic direction on modified compensation structure for current and future positions: Regional Sales Manager, Sales Manager, Account Executive.
Commerce leadership success metrics and responsibilities.
Change Communication Plan and Presentation
- Having established organizational changes, Craft worked with Graber to establish an implementation timeline, including meeting presentations and communications for current employees.
- Craft developed a change communication presentation aligning Graber’s company values with its newly articulated commerce objectives, establishing updated responsibilities and KPIs and setting the scene for future changes.
Slide from a presentation developed for Graber leadership to present upcoming changes.
Building the New Pipeline: Implementing a Unified Marketing and Sales Account Based Marketing (ABM) Plan
- With clearly forecasted revenue goals and defined metrics, Craft was able to put an actionable account based marketing strategy in place to reflect Graber’s new initiatives to increase a previously untapped pipeline.
- Craft worked with Commerce leadership to prioritize and plan “target” or top companies for each of the 4 sales “territories,” using specific criteria to determine which companies would be most important for future growth.
- Anticipating employee questions and educational opportunities with the roll-out of the new target company initiative, Craft coached and empowered Graber leadership to share best sales practices for nurturing relationships in a digital world. Craft created a customized slidedeck and blog article as a resource for Graber employees to use in executing their outreach to target companies.
- Craft established an ad campaign strategy with the Graber marketing department to specifically target ideal prospect roles within the top companies for each territory, demonstrating further alignment between marketing and sales.
Sales coaching resource example developed for Graber sales team.
- Using overall Graber initiatives and territory KPIs, Craft created specific Hubspot dashboards with dynamic reporting for individual Sales Regional Managers (per territory), Director of Commerce, and Sales Manager roles.
- Craft coached Graber leadership to use dashboards and reporting in frequent supervisory check-ins with employees, to track and monitor progress towards newly defined KPIs.
- Craft created dynamic dashboards for Commerce leadership to use specifically in monthly marketing and sales team meetings with reports that show department wide progress towards pipeline initiatives and overall revenue goals.
HubSpot KPI Dashboard for a Graber Sales Rep.
HubSpot KPI Dashboard for Sales Manager.
- Anticipated 170%+ in total revenue projected for 2022 from 2019
- Record Q1 2022 orders and sales numbers, with highest January, February, and March, June and July ever recorded
- Created 5 year strategic revenue goals to guide decision-making, with % per pipeline expectations
- Developed org-chart for scalability: job roles, responsibilities, and metrics for marketing, sales, and customer service teams
With a clear 5-year vision and goals, an organizational structure and job descriptions to achieve that vision, and a unified commerce strategy to share the value of Madrax and Thomas Steele products with our ideal prospects, Graber Manufacturing is well-positioned to scale and grow to achieve their ambitious goals.